This mushroom pepper fry is chettinad based, spicy and quick fry. Mushrooms are protein packed and best vegetarian alternative to meat. The addition of pepper along with mushrooms takes the dish to a new level. Small button mushrooms works best for this recipe. This fry goes well with chapati/roti but can be paired with rice too.
- 200 gm cleaned button mushroom, diced
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tomato, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1/2 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds/jeera
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp black pepper powder
- salt to taste
- 1 strand curry leaves
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves, finely chopped
- Heat oil in a wok, splutter cumin seeds. Add chopped onion and sauté for few minutes.
- Add salt and ginger garlic paste sauté for few seconds. Now add curry leaves, red chili powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder and fry for 2 minutes. Further add chopped tomatoes. Mix well.
- Next add chopped mushroom and 2 tbsp water. Mix well. Cover and cook on a low flame for 5 – 7 minutes.
- Once the mushroom is cooked well, add 1 tsp black pepper powder. Mix well. Garnish with coriander leaves and serve with rice or chapati.