Paneer Bhurji is basically spicy Indian cottage cheese (paneer) with onion, tomatoes and spices. ‘Bhurji’ means scrambled so here the paneer is crumbled and then cooked with spices. This is an easy and quick recipe with basic ingredients gets done in 15 minutes. Paneer bhurji pairs well with flat breads like roti and paratha. Tastes great on toast too!
- 200 gm paneer, crumbled
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 tomato, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 2 green chilies, finely chopped
- 1 inch ginger, finely chopped
- 5 – 6 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp sabji masala
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp coriander leaves, finely chopped
- Heat oil in a pan on medium heat. Then add fennel seeds and let them sizzle for few seconds.
- Then add onion, along with green chilies, ginger and garlic and stir. Cook for 5 minutes until light brown. Add salt and sauté for few seconds.
- Next, add turmeric powder, red chili powder, sabji masala mix and cook the spices for 30 seconds.
- Further, add chopped tomato and carrot and cook for 3 minutes until soft.
- Add crumbled paneer and mix everything together. Cook the paneer for 2 to 3 minutes. Do not over cook else the paneer will be become rubbery and chewy.
- Squeeze in some fresh lemon juice, garnish with coriander leaves, mix well and serve paneer bhurji with roti/paratha or on toast.