The word ‘Dum‘ means cooked under pressure and ‘Aloo‘ means Potatoes. Dum Aloo is a famous Kashmiri cuisine. Traditionally the small baby potatoes are deep fried and cooked on low flame. Its a lengthy procedure and very time consuming. Dum Aloo can be made in pressure cooker. It is a very quick recipe and requires very basic ingredients which are available easily at home. It does not require frying the baby potatoes and is a healthy alternative to the traditional Dum Aloo.
- 2 potatoes, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 tomato, finely chopped
- 1 tsp cumin seeds/jeera
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp coriander powder
- 1/4 tsp garam masala
- salt to taste
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 tbsp yoghurt/curd
- 1 tsp kasuri methi
- Heat oil in pressure cooker, add bay leaf and splutter cumin seeds. Add chopped onion, ginger garlic paste and salt; fry till light brown.
- Next add red chili powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder, garam masala and fry for 2 minutes on low flame. Add tomato and mix well.
- Further add potatoes and mix well to coat the masala thoroughly.
- Add 1/2 cup water mix well. Cover the lid and pressure cook for 2 whistles.
- Allow the steam to release naturally. Adjust the consistency according to your liking.
- Heat the pressure cooker on low flame, add kasuri methi and yoghurt/curd. Turn off the flame. Do not boil after adding curd/yoghurt.
- Serve with Rice, Roti or Naan.